From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 17:18:31 -0800
On 10 Oct 99, at 6:48, Bill J McMilleon wrote:

> My plan is to build a dual processor system using Celeron 433 Mhz
> with the Abit BP-6 mb. About a month ago I read an article where it
> said that the rumor was that Intel was going to make the Celeron so
> that it could not be used in a dual processor system. Because of
> the rumor I ordered my Celerons a couple of weeks ago. Upon
> receiving my processors I noticed a line on the box which read,
> "FOR UNIPROCESSOR SYSTEMS". Is this just Intel hype or have they
> already started producing Celerons that are disabled for dual
> processing? Has this statement always been on boxed Celeron
> processors?

  Officially, Celerons have *never* supported multi-processor use.

  Unofficially, the necessary ciruitry has been present but disabled;
there have been a couple of ways to re-enable it.  Intel disapproves,
and what they've been talking about is actually removing it; as far
as I know, they have not yet done so.

  [Reminder:  Win 9x will only *use* one CPU.  In order to get any
benefit from a second CPU, you must run an OS that supports multi-CPU
configurations:  NT, Linux, etc.]

David G

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html