From:
Mike Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:21:31 -0700
Here is the procedure I use at work so we don't have to carry the
Windows install CD with us when we go out on a trouble call.

Create a directory under c:\windows called options.  Copy the files
from the cd-rom under the Win98 directory to the c:\windows\options
directory.  Open regedit and expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software ->
Microsoft -> Windows -> Current Version -> setup and change the source
path key value to “c:\windows\options\” without the quotes (it will add
the quotes for you).  This change will have windows look in the options
directory instead of making you insert the windows 98 cd-rom when it
needs to look in the cab files.

Of course if you want to use the CD instead of the hard drive you can
modify the instructions above to do that too.

Mike