From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:49:48 -0500
Darrell, I don't know how much you know about these things, but did you try setting the hard drive to Master and setting the cd
drive to slave or cable select?  Also, make sure that the connector ribbon is well seated.  It may also be that the hard drive has
to be connected to the end of the ribbon and the cd to the middle.  I would first try it without the cd connected to the ribbon at
all and see if it will recognize the hd, then, once it recognizes the hd, connect the cd.  (I am assuming that this is a desktop; if
it is a laptop, then the ribbon suggestion may be irrelevant.)  It may be, too, that in the cmos settings you have to choose the
auto-detect hard drive settings.  If it is a very old computer, you might want to install a new battery (that holds the cmos
settings.)  They only cost a couple of dollars at Wal-Mart or the Shack.

Good luck!

Dean Kukral