From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 May 1998 08:35:13 -0400
At 08:44 PM 5/8/1998 "Michael D. Sheridan"  wrote:

>I have a P166, 48MB Ram, 512K Cache, 2.5G HD. Where should
>I go from here to increase speed? Mobo will not handle MMX.

I would suggest to anyone seeking advice on upgrading a
computer that you specify, in detail, all the components in
your computer, the applications used, and the relevant
settings.

For example, if Michael's computer was a game computer
and it was a Compaq with an onboard video adaptor, I
would recommend a new PCI video accelerator to boast
performance. [And since this hypothetical system is
proprietary, it is not a candidate for a motherboard swap].

On the other hand, if the computer had a particular
motherboard with a known bug causing system slowdown,
there might be a simple BIOS upgrade which would fix that
problem.

A reader cannot guess if you have your CMOS and/or
Win95 settings optimized, if you have some unexpected
bottleneck elsewhere (like you have a set of 70 nanosecond
double-sided Fast Page SIMMs with your EDO), whether
you are a candidate for some other upgrade, if you have
contentious applications which fight for or hog system
resources, or whether you could tread the realm of
overclocking (2x83MHz works great with the right system,
if risk is acceptable).

So please be a bit more detailed in giving your system
specifications, if you wish to receive detailed advice.

Regards,

John Chin