Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:01:24 -0400
This is a common problem and a reason to open the monitor and clean it out at least once a year before something is shorted out after which it generally is not worth repairing.

You could check for blown fuses and shorted diodes in the front end where the AC is converted to DC. Those are easily changed if your handy at repair.

If you want to clean it and try to repair it, use a household cleaner (ie 409)and wash with water. Use a Hair dryer to blow dry it before applying power.

Mike Michel

On Thu 07/17, Howard Rubin wrote:
Subject: [PCBUILD] Monitor fix update

I took out two screws and cracked the IBM first.  I had a terrible mess on my desk, the monitor must have  belonged to a cigarette smoker.  The interior was covered in black tar or rust.  The cable was connected fine with no damage (just a simple plug in, easily accessable, no tools required), but obviously the thin film of cigarette residue, which covered everything like glue did the monitor in.  Strange, it didn't smell bad untill I opened it!

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com