Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 22:13:06 EDT
I had a laptop but I built a little board for it to sit on  with
another 1" x 1" stick glued on this board in the back so  the
computer would be tilted upward (back of it) and would have air  underneath.
I never had any problems with it cause of  this.  It gets very hot if sitting
directly on a table, thus it must be tilted in the back for ventilation.
=======================

Denise

As suggested, I would look to increase memory to 512MB if  possible in
that laptop. However, I would suspect heat as a possible cause  of the
problems. Laptops don't have much cooling capacity so every little  bit
of dust and lint can reduce the cooling efficiency. Look for the cooling
intake grill(s) and check for blockages. Also is the fan coming on and
can you feel the exhaust?

Tom

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/en/dellsupport30?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~ck=m

> You would be better off with more memory-try the upgrade tool  at
> www.crucial.com.  512 MB is a much better figure.
> You  might want to adjust your power saving settings in Control Panel.
> That  could be the reason for the dark screen.
> I don't have an XP laptop  handy, but Look in Control Panel under the
> Power icon and see what the  settings are for Disk turn off, standby
> and monitor turn off. Note that  there are separate settings for when
> you're on battery and on AC  power.
> I'd also be suspicious of any recently installed  programs.
>

> Denise Matthews wrote:
>>> Thanks  for replies
>>> Inspiron 1300 laptop with Windows xp home  edition
>>> Hard drive free space 29.0GB used space  5.09GB.
>>> Processor 1.50GHz 248 RAM
>>> McAfee  antivirus, on programes there is an AOL Spyware but I don't
>>>  think this is activated.
>>> Installed Spyware Doctor.  Have  run both scans, 1 filed was
>>> recommended tobe deleted, which I  did.
>>> Developments started to occur over last week, and this  morning
>>> screen went blank after 10 mins.
>>> Almost  looks like it has gone into screen saver but without anything
>>>  on screen.
>>> Hope this will help, if not be patient, I am totally  green.
>> Denise
> My computer is running slow, and sometimes  seems to lock, and also
> cannot get out of windows.
>> On the  internet at times cannot get from website to another.
>> The screen  sometimes goes blank with mouse (egg shape) only on screen.
>> The  mouse will move but obviously nothing to point at
>
>     Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change  to
>                     Digest mode - visit our web site:
>            http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

The NOSPIN Group is now offering Free PC  Tech
support at our newest website:
http://freepctech.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml