From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:28:35 -0400
Jim,

At one point in my life, I worked as a factory engineer for a maker of gas
station equipment.  Quite often the employees at convenience stores would
spill soda, coffee, or slurpees into the keyboard.  Running the keyboard
through a dishwasher worked just fine to clean them up.

HOWEVER: there are several cardinal rules you must follow!
1. Unplug the keyboard <grin>
2. Remove as much of the outer case as possible.
3. Do not use powdered detergents,
    they don't always dissolve completely.
4. Only put the keyboard on the top shelf -- the heater element
     in the bottom of the washer can melt the plastic.
5. Remove the keyboard BEFORE the dry cycle
    (see #4 above)
6. Make sure the keyboard is absolutely, positively,
    completely, and totally DRY before you plug it back in.

If you are in a hurry, you can speed up step 6 with a hair dryer --
but not too close to the components.

With that said.....

The keyboards I was working with were designed for a harsh (gas station)
and abusive (c-store) environment and as such, had top of the line
components.  The keyboard on a PC was designed for a completely opposite
environment and with economy as the main criteria......
a new (decent) keyboard is only around $30US with cheaper versions as low
as $10.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====