From:
Donald DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2006 13:19:37 -0400
Hello members, I'm not sure this update was posted or not........
I need advice installing a second hard drive as a slave. I have a Dell XPS
400 running with XP. I purchased a new Seagate 160GB Serial ATA w/NCQ
7200/8MB from an internet company. I installed the drive and connected the
cable to the drive and the motherboard also connected the power plug to the
drive. The computer doesn't recognize the drive by clicking on "My Computer"
also the Add Hardware Wizard cannot find it. The drive did not come with an
installation CD or installation instructions.

...in the BIOS under SATA Operation, there are four (4) options.
1. RAID Autodect/AHCI
2. RAID Autodect/ATA
3. RAID on
4. Combination
The factory default is set at RAID Autodect/AHCI.
I assume the RAID Autodect/ATA is the correct choice here but I'm not sure
of this and I don't want to get myself in trouble.......

Don DeWitt

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml