From:
Amy Ledford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:42:03 -0700
Tim,

Since you are planning to format it anyway, download a
98 boot disk (you can get it at freepctech.com). Do
this using the PC you've been using... Here is the
actual link:
http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml
You will just need to click the link that says "MS
Windows 98 & 98SE" You will then be prompted with a
dialog box that essentially asks, "Where do you want
to save the file?" You can save the file anywhere on
the PC, but I recommend the desktop, because it is so
much easier to find. Have a blank 3.5 floppy inserted
into the floppy drive, still on this existing PC. Then
Double-click the file. The file will then be written
to the floppy.

Hopefully that when your PC boots, you are able to go
into the BIOS, most commonly by tapping either the F2
or F8 key as the PC tries to boot. Make sure that it
is set to boot from Floppy.

Once the boot sequence is set, insert the floppy disc,
and boot the PC. After it goes through the setup
sequence, you will then be presented with an A:
prompt. At this prompt, if you type "fdisk" without
quotes, and then hit the Enter key, you can then add
or delete partitions. I personally recommend using the
full HDD capacity, especially with smaller hard
drives. Of course, if you choose to add a partition,
you could install another OS on the other
partition...but that is not really what you are trying
to accomplish here. Now, inser the Windows 98
Installation CD. Then shut off the PC by the power
button, which is incorrect, but at this point there is
no Windows, so there is also no Start button. Take the
floppy out, restart the PC again,and this should
install Windows 98.

HTH--Amy Ledford

http://mail.yahoo.com