From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:22:32 -0800
  My Dad's a member of a similar group, but perhaps more geographically
dispersed:  CROL, Canadian Retirees On-Line....

  You mention a 12-port switch, but don't provide any details about it.
Switches operate by learning the MAC addresses (network hardware
identifiers) associated with each port.  SOME of them include, as a security
feature, an ability to, once one identifier has been learned, refuse to
connect to any other.  If your switch has this feature, and it has gotten
turned on somehow for that port, then that could be why the original machine
can connect there but the new one cannot.
  Things to try:

1.  Try a few other machines in that port, and the new one in other ports.

2.  Try putting the NIC from the old machine into the new machine.

3.  Tell us about the make and model of the switch and the NIC involved.  So
you have other machines using the same variety of NIC with this switch?

David Gillett

On 23 Nov 2004 at 2:08, Rick Thornton wrote:

> HI,
>     Our Seniors computing club (www.biscc.com if your interested in
> grey computing power) operates a network of 7 pcs (2x P4 2.6ghx,
> 5XCeleron 2.6) and 1 MAC.  The pcs all run Winxp home. (The MAC just
> happily ignores it all and does everything asked of it.)  The network
> operates through a 12 port Switch and the internet connection is
> through a NB1300 ethernet modem.  The modem assigns the IP addresses
> (I am pretty sure). We just recently upgraded 4 old Celeron 733s to
> the 2.6 ghz.  All has gone well except for one particular Celeron 2.6.
>  It will not connect to the network or the internet. All I can get is
> that there is limited or no internet connectivity and it cannot
> contact the DHCP server.  What is strange is that if I take it to the
> shop where we bought it or to my home and set it up it immediately
> finds the network and the internet!  I have tried putting in a static
> IP but that doesn't seem to do anything. Also when I take it off the
> club net and replace the old machine the problem goes away!    None of
> us are well versed in networking and the staff at the computer shop
> seem stumped by the problem. Is this machine haunted? Any advice would
> be gratefully received.
>
> Thanks
> Rick Thornton

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,