From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 08:07:11 -0600
At 08:43 AM 04/04/2000 , Art Cassel wrote:
>Help!!  Due to a major act of stupidity on my part (long story), I have
>deleted my Primary and secondary IDE controllers.  System;
>Abit BX 6 Rev2
>Maxtor 13.6 gig HD (primary master)
>Asus 40X CD (secondary master)
>HP 7570 CD-R (secondary slave)
>Win 98
>
>BIOS detects HD on Primary 1.  Both IDE controllers enabled in BIOS.
>Red x's on primary and secondary IDE controllers in device manager.
>Says no drivers installed for device in both,  Points to mchdc.inf (in
>Windows INF folder) when trying to update drivers.  Get a "windows
>couldn't install error" with an error 69 message when trying to
>install.  I have pointed it at backups of mshdc.inf with the same
>result.
>
>It sees HD (drives C-L) and functions, but fails to detect the two CD's
>on secondary.  Same problem in DOS.  Am I stuck with a complete
>reinstall of Windows? Help!!

This can be a hard one.  I would start Windows in safe mode, then delete all
instances of hard drive controller drivers from Device Manager.  In Safe Mode
the system is not using the 32bit drivers and it will not effect Windows to delete
them.   If you are installing Windows98 from the hard drive then just restart the
WIndows and it should detect the 82443BX and 82371EB Intel controller,
installing the drivers.

If you install from the CD rom drive, then you must install your CD rom drivers
manually in DOS, config.sys and autoexec.bat, using an universal CD rom driver.
You can download a universal driver from our web site at:
ftp://ftp.fluidlight.com/pub/nospin_files/cddriver.zip

The file contains instructions on installing the driver in DOS.  Then restart Windows
and you can use your CD Rom drive and your WIndows98 CD to install the driver.

Why do you need the DOS driver?  Without the controller drivers installed, Windows
cannot access the CD Rom drive and get the necessary files from your CD.  When
you have reinstalled the Intel IDE drivers, then you can remove the DOS drivers
for your CD Rom drive.

I hope this helps...

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group