From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2006 12:55:06 -0400
Hi Jim,

I just started helping someone with exactly this same problem (but a Toshiba
Notebook).

Here are a couple of resources that address this issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

Unfortunately, in my situation, I've so far found that booting from the
WinXP CD and trying to use the Recovery console is not working, since the
windows installation isn't seen, at this point.

I've put the Toshiba's hard drive into an external USB drive enclosure and I
plan on trying to manually replace/repair the files that are mentioned in
the Microsoft Knowledge Base article by using my working desktop's version
of Windows XP.  (When it is installed in this enclosure, I seem to be able
to read the notebook's drive fine.  All the files seem to be present.)

I don't know how this will work out; so, I'll post back with an update after
I know more.

John Sproule