From:
Joe Baire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 09:32:51 -0500
The Maxtor will install as secondary master (or slave).  However, if it were
my system I would install the new hard drive as the primary slave and move
the 36X CD-Rom to the secondary master or slave position.  From my
experience a slow device such as a CD-Rom on the same contoller with the
primary hard drive slows perfomance, sometimes dramatically.

HTH
Joe

Subject: [PCBUILD] Adding Second Hard Drive

I've never added a second hard drive so I have a question.  I bought a
Maxtor 7200 rpm hard drive kit.   My machine is as follows:

Asus P2B AGP with Intel 440BX Pentium II 400 MHz
128 RAM
Primary Master: LBA, UDMA2, 6488 MB
Primary Slave: CD-Rom 36x/AKW
No Secondary Master or Slave

I also have a Yamaha 4260 CRW SCSI on an Aaptec AHA-2920c

I have read both my motherboard manual and the installation instructions
that come with the Maxtor 7200.  My motherboard manual says it supports
UltraDMA/33, PIO Modes 3 and 4 and Bus Master IDE DMA Mode 2.  The Maxtor
comes with a UDMA 66 interface cable.  I'm really not concerned about the
speed of the hard drive, I just need more hard drive space.  My question is
will this hard drive install alright and run in my machine as a Secondary
Master?

Thanks,
Marilyn