From:
Robert Turnbull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:31:35 -0500
I too have been toying with the idea of upgrading my Pentium 100 bench
built system to a Pentium 200 chipset, so I am very interested in this
discussion. If this would involve more than plugging in a new chip, I will
put off the upgrade until I am prepared to do a total upgrade. Here is the
source of my confusion:

I used Ctbios to determine that I have an Award BIOS, an Asus
motherboard, an 82430HX chipset, and a BIOS ID string of 05/21/96-
82430HX-PI55T2P4C-00.

I also used Ctpci to determine that I have an Intel 82439HX TXC Chipset
(P54).

I notice the difference between 82430HX and 82439HX and wonder
what this means.

Anyway, I used this data to find an Asus manual for a P55T2P4
motherboard and I assume (?)  that this is for my motherboard. [I could
not find an Asus motherboard with this designation ending with C-00 as
in the string mentioned above.]

The manual states that the motherboard DOES NOT support  Dual Power
Plane CPUs. The manual also states that the motherboard supports one
Pentium 75MHz thru 200MHz.

This leaves me confused. Can I safely assume that this manual describes
my motherboard? Does it really mean that I can simply plug in a Pentium
200 chip? How does this all fit with the previous discussion?

Many thanks for any enlightenment.

I receive the list in digest form and would be grateful if any responses
could be copied to me.

Robert Turnbull, Toronto, Canada

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html