From:
Darren Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 14:00:32 -0500
I have an HP 7100i IDE CDR-CDRW that I got by swapping some parts with a
friend who bought an 8100. It was defective when I got it, and he had lost
the bill for it. My wife returned it to HP with an RMA through her work (an
HP authorised service centre). It turns out that the drive was still under
warranty and I got it back about three days later by Purolater right to my
door, at no cost! It still works great along with my friends 8100. The only
reason the drive went bad in the first place is because my friend was
burning about 10-20 CD's per week, and an internal mechanism wore out. The
HP's are a little bit more expensive, but I think that it is worth it if you
can get service from them like I did.

I have also installed a few of the Panasonic drives (both SCSI and IDE), and
so far I have only heard good things about them.

> Will someone please recommend 3 best value for quality and price
> CD-Roms Recordable, Rewriteable. How good are the Hewlett Packard
> machines?
> What are the advantages and disadvantages of Internal vs External CD-Rom
> Recordable, Rewriteable drives?
>
> Thanks for your time and good luck in your work,
>
> Richard D.Smith

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html