From:
Brad Feuerhelm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:02:40 -0500
Hi All

Hey Mark and thanks for that idea, one I never would have thought of and
something I may think of doing in the future but the only problem with
that would be the cost of additional routers and also wouldn't they have
to be bridgeable? If so not all wireless routers are capable of this I
don't think. My Rosewill's manual says it can. I do have a backup router
I use for emergency's which is a linksys wr160 but I don't think that is
bridgeable I do have a third but it's a wired linksys and a pretty old
one so I doubt that one would be. Also my network knowledge is pretty
basic and setting three routers up and getting them to work together
would be a major job I would think at least for me. Sorry I didn't
mention the situation here which is a home/office environment. Also all
machines are running XP Pro with one machine dual booting Win 98, Vista
and Ubuntu. All the wife's clients are handled over the internet or by a
phone call. She has no local clients. But that may change somewhere down
the line though.The only people other than me and the wife would be the
occasional family guest. So The guest would only need internet access. I
would prefer that the lan was not accessible while the "guest" was
online. My workgroup name is pretty far out there not even close to the
default.

I will look into the mac filtering end of this as Kenneth Whyman
mentioned this might work out. The next question is would I need to have
the mac address of the computer or the NIC? I'm guessing the NIC but not
sure on this one.

Thanks again for all your help

Brad Feuerhelm

                     support at our newest website: