From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 16:15:43 -0400
Did the DVD drive package give any indication of minimum system
requirements to work properly?  The cpu speed may be a factor as well -
images might be jumpy.  I tried this a few years back with a Dell
celeron 400 mhz, DVD's did not play well.
I just looked at ebay, there is a lot of older memory available,
probably can get 2  128mb pc 66 chips for under $30.total.  If you go
this route, try to obtain 2 of the same brand/part number if possible.
Memory chips have a lot of variables - # of chips,  latency, cas, ecc or
non-ecc, etc.  You want non-ecc.   The better the match, the better.
You could also try a local computer store, they might have some used
memory available for the asking, or ask your son if any of his friends
might have some.  Local computer club?   The presario 1525 (SR1525?) you
received from a friend is a much more modern machine, if that  model
number is right.  I would work with that pc if it is in working order.
Can you verify the model number?

Monique wrote:

>My son's computer is a HP Pavillion 8360 and has the base 64 mb of RAM... We added a dvd drive but need to know what amount of additional RAM is needed to play DVD's from the new drive. The motherboard can only handle 256, so that's
>what I'm shooting for, but to buy 2/128's @ 66 mhz ram seems to be the same cost as buying a 1gb stick for mine.. For now the minimum needed is what I'm looking for, unless of course, someone out there has the RAM I need for less than 30$ each.. Any opinions will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Monique

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml