From:
Kenneth Whyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2009 23:30:53 -0700
With that many nodes demanding packet routing under RRAS, it's a wonder you
haven't had a complete failure of that gateway server from the load. A good
router from Cisco Systems is more in line with your needs, and not a RRAS
gateway trying to sub in for one. The kicker with a router as opposed to a
RRAS gateway on Win2K Server is a router is designed specifically to cope
with and route the traffic from that many nodes, whereas a RRAS server has
much more to do besides route packets. RRAS also does authentication and
security in addition to routing, which takes time away from the packet
routing chore. If you need the authentication, security, and VPN endpoint
mapping that RRAS can provide, by all means leave it in the loop, but let a
router take over the gateway packet routing chores. Beyond that, I would
replace that NIC in the server that keeps acting up. I have a feeling that
it's going south, and the best way to know is to swap it for one that works
and see if your connectivity issues go away. If they do, problem solved
until you can get a router and really alleviate your network's congenstion.
If it doesn't, then it's all on RRAS.

Kenneth Whyman
"Chance favors the prepared mind."

                     visit our download web page at: