From:
Brendon Schafer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:20:02 +0200
Hi All

I think this falls within the scope of the list.

I have a small Windows network at home, with different flavours of Windows
running (95, 98 and NT4 Workstation).

My NT4 box is acting as a file server and a login server. (I obtain the
permissions for the shares from this machine). My 95 machine is used
primarily by my wife for occasional work that she does and by me
occasionally as a test machine. My 98 machine has multiple operating systems
on it and is used by me as a primary development machine. Among the
operating systems I have on this machine, I have Linux. (Actually 3
flavours - FreeBSD, Mandrake, and Suse at the moment). I've also had Red Hat
at one stage.

What I am wanting to do is access the shared folders on the NT box and use
the logins from this box for authentication. Obviously this means that Linux
must be the client. Which is all fine. As far as I can tell, the network is
set up correctly (I am able to Ping the other machines on the network both
from Linux and I can ping the Linux machine) but I can't get to either the
shares on the NT box, and I certainly haven't figured out how to use NT's
users as logins for the Linux box. I have quite a few dists available and I
usually use the KDE environment, but that doesn't matter much either.

There is no option for me to change the file server to the Linux box (Not at
the moment at any rate). At this stage I'm just doing this so that I can
learn a little more about Linux.

Anybody have any suggestions for me. Perhaps a web site I crawl over to.
Most of the sites that I've been to (mostly Red Hat, Mandrake, Suse,
Linux.org etc sites) don't really have any good clear instructions that I
can understand. Suse's online help is the best I've seen so far, but still
doesn't do what I'm looking for. Mostly they want to set Linux up as the
server and Windows as the client. I also usually install all the packages
available on the Linux CD's.

Thanks

Brendon

                     visit our download web page at: