From:
Wanda Irby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:04:37 -0600
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>Greetings Wanda & List--
>

>>>======================================
>>>At 3/27/2004 09:10 PM, Wanda Irby wrote:
>>>
>>>I have a new Epson CX5400 all in one.  I am trying to get it to work with a
>>>

>>computer that was part of a network.  It is running Win 98SE & has 512 meg of
>>memory.  It formerly had a HP printer.  The scanner software installs just fine
>>& it will work as a scanner and print from it but when installing the printer
>>software, I get the error message:
>>

>>>SURegCreateKey failed.  I have removed the HP software & deleted everything I
>>>

>>can find connected to the network.  It won't print from the computer.  Can
>>anyone help?
>>

>>No, I removed it from the Control Panel but there were some things left in the
>>registrey.  When it would not install, I removed those too.  It keeps trying to
>>install it to LPT 1 instead of the USB port.
>>

>Is it possible that, like some HP printers designed for either
>parallel or USB port installation, it is necessary to install
>the software WITHOUT the printer connected, and only connecting
>the printer when instructed by the setup routine?
>
>When installing a HP PhotoSmart 1000, this was the procedure that
>was required. At one point, you are asked to choose the port the
>device will print to; USB or parallel. After the choice is made,
>and certain files are copied, the routine instructs you to
>connect the printer.

It is only USB, there is no parallel connection and the software has to be installed before connecting the USB cable.  Then is searches forever and says the printer is not connected properly or another printer may be using the port.
        Wanda in Seymour in the great State of TEXAS, USA

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com