From:
Michele Sayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2009 15:44:14 -0000
It sounds as though your pc should be pretty efficient going by the specs
you give.
However, I had a similar scenario here recently and my problem was finally
cured when I ran "a squared free". It found a number of things my other
spyware removers missed, plus something was being held in the ram while my
system was running. (don't remember the name of it now, but it was some kind
of trojan).
Long story short, it doesn't happen now, the system runs fine.
Im not trying to promote a squared free, but its worth a try. It's a very
long scan though - I run a deep scan which can take hours.
Another thing I find that can sometimes help, yet many people don't do it
(once you know you're free of infection) is to run a system scan on start
up. Sometimes it will give the error messaage that your drive is locked, and
in that case, just restarting in safe mode usually does the trick, although
you'll get a different appearance as its scanning.
(right click C: /properties/tools/error checking/tick both boxes)
I don't know if you've tried either of these suggestions, but I think
they're worth a try.
No doubt you'll be overwhelmed with suggestions here.
Good luck

I am running xp Pro on a PC with an Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.53GHz, with a CPU
speed of 2523MHz, and 1G of RAM. My hard drive is 300G and is still mostly
free space. I use Zone Labs Security Suite, with anti-virus scanning daily.
Spyware Doctor runs upon bootup, I regularly use Spybot Search & Destroy and
AdAware for spyware, CC cleaner for "tuneups", and Auslogics for disk and
reg. defrag. Still, though, my PC can be terribly slow too much of the time.
More often than not, when it's slow, the Task Manager shows 100% CPU usage.
Nevertheless, I'm wondering if adding 1G of RAM could help. A computer savvy
friend says that with my CPU, more RAM will not help. The service dept. at 2
Fry's stores said that was not true. Any educated guesses as to how good the
chances are that an extra G of RAM would help my PC's speed? Thanks very
much in advance for any assistance.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com