From:
Oscar Viñas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 12:27:58 -0400
Hi:
I am a professor in electronics and PC hardware in a public University in
Cuba. This is a very low developed country from the third world so we have
mainly old computers. (In my office I use an old 486DX2-66MHz with 16MB RAM
and 1GB HD!). You have not idea how useful is that old hardware for us,
because we have not funds to buy all the computers we need and we use our
money mainly for books to be able to teach the state of the art technology
(and we do!). Of course there are some Celeron 366MHz and so on, but even
that is old for many of you. It is not my intention to use this forum to ask
for donations but, considering you asked what to do with old hardware and
many of you answered so I can suggest you that we would feel very happy to
receive those stuffs.  In my own department we have two PCs that we don't
use because they have not HD and those that you have would let us use them
in office matters. So everything from memory SIMM to old HD or even CD-R
would be appreciated.

Now another question. I have a friend who lives in the city of Madison in US
and he wants to send me as a gift an old laptop that I could use for e-mail
and to run some W-95 software (Office-97, IE, maybe OrCAD, etc). No, I don't
have a PC, I can not buy it with my 14 dollars monthly salary. He doesn't
know very much about computers so he asks me what to buy or how to find
something cheap in ebay.com. But I don't know about US market. Maybe someone
of you could help us. I just need something where I could install Windows
95, maybe that very same 486DX2-66MHz with 16MB RAM or compatible, if
possible I would like a CD-ROM drive. But he won't spend very much money in
that so this should be cheap. Maybe someone out there have something that
don't use and would like to sell for cheap or donate, or could help him to
find the right place to buy it. Please, feel free to contact me out of the
list for any suggestion or more details. Thank you very much,

Sincerely,

Oscar Viņas
Universidad de Camaguey.
Dpto. Ingenieria Electrica.
Camaguey. 74650.
Cuba.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

> At 10:03 AM 09/23/2000, you wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Anyone have any suggestions on a way of getting rid of some old
> >hardware.  I have two old hard drives that may or may not work properly
> >(124 meg and 800 meg) and an old Reveal CD-ROM that never seemed to work
> >right and gave me lots of headaches.  I hate the idea of just throwing
> >these things in a landfill but I'm not sure what other options I have.  I
> >don't really want to give them to charity because I'm not sure that
they're
> >reliable components.
> >
> >Any thoughts?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Bill Nussbaumer
>
> From: Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
> Bill,
>
> We rarely mention it...
>
> But, The NOSPIN Group is a non-profit organization and tax exempt under
> US tax laws.  You can donate such hardware to this organization and we
> provide you with a letter for tax purposes, (good for US citizens as a tax
> deduction).  Donating to us, you know that we know how to deal with such
> hardware and put it to good use.
>
> If you decide to donate it...  contact: Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>
> and he can provide you with information about where to send the hardware.
>
>       Bob Wright
> The NOSPIN Group
>
>                The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering
>       special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
>           with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
>                       http://nospin.com/promotions

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>