From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 10:30:26 -0400
Win XP-Pro-SP2 boot problem. (Very "low level" type question...)
(I never have easy questions... <grin>)

This all started with the installation of a video capture card.
It went VERY poorly and I did a system restore to several
days before the new drivers were installed. That was only partly
successful. I had lost my sound and all my CD or DVD type drives
and they did not return.
The computer was working (other than the above) for several days,
I tried various things that did no harm or good.
The last thing I remember doing was a CHKDSK from WinXP,
and also from inside BartPE CD.
Right after that, I lost "booting".

This computer does not use the XP "Welcome screen".

I am writing this from a clone of the HD (HD #120G) that is
a month older. This proves ALL the "other" hardware is working.
Soyo, AMD 2000+, 1.25G RAM. 350W-PS.
(It never hurts to have a "full back-up" on a clone HD... <grin>)

When I (try to) boot this computer with the hard drive (HD #160G)
that I was using until "~yesterday?), I can get to the Win2000 style
security desktop with the Win2000 style message that says I need to
press Ctrl+Alt+Del. (After doing that, I would normally proceed
to the Username + Password dialog box on the security desktop.)

The problem is that when I boot (HD #160G) to that first screen,
I have no mouse and no keyboard. This is ALSO true if I boot to
safemode OR safemode with command prompt.
(Can't hit Ctrl+Alt+Del with no keyboard.)

I have been using the "latest" revision (flash) of the BIOS for about a year...
I cleared the BIOS settings according to factory instructions.
(Kill ALL AC power, move J5 from 1-2 to 2-3, leave 10 sec, and move back.)
It DID clear and I set the clock and hit "Optimized Settings"
(or Optimized Defaults?)
The computer works great with the clone HD, (HD #120G)

I had been using a PS2 mouse and keyboard.
I turned off the computer, etc. and switched to a serial mouse.
It was detected in this (HD #120G) installation and works fine.

It seems I have a configuration problem with WINDOWS on the
one HD that is even in SAFEMODE.
I can't run system restore since I can't log on to anything other
than the repair console. (It is installed on both HDs.)
The HD#160G can be run as a SLAVE and data can be moved
on and off it... (The drive seems to be in "perfect" condition.)

I don't "really" need to fix this since I have the working clone,
(HD #120G), and have more or less brought it up to date manually
as far as new data, mail, etc...

But I would like to "try" a repair in case I am not lucky enough to
"have" a recent "clone" or a full backup some day...
And if successful, that type of experience is always good to have...

I'm assuming(?) I will not be able to fix this from "inside" Windows
with a system restore again since Windows will not start "at all"...

Is the ONLY other option an "over the top" re-install of the OS?
I would like to try to save the installation (and/or ALL the data...)
At the best - I am only expecting to get back to the "broken" system
I had, but at least one that boots and would be easier to get data
off of if I was in that position...

What is a good plan?

                                     Rick Glazier

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: