From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2005 18:23:34 -0700
Hi Alan,

All the systems I have built and most I have seen blow the air from the fan
through the heatsink. However it may depend on the airflow in your case. It
is usually easy enough to flip the fan over to make it blow the other way
and see what it does to the temps.

If you still have trouble getting the temp down (is this a processor temp?),
it might be worthwhile to remove the HS from the CPU and clean and put new
thermal compund on it. I use Arctic Silver, and never had any problems. You
may also want to consider a case fan if you don't have any. Note that the
readings you get from the built-in monitors are not always all that
accurate. Are you seeing stability problems?

What type of processor (make/model) and what are the actual temps? Some do
run hotter than others, the P4 Prescott CPU runs hotter than the Northwood
core, but this is normal.