From:
Kevin Nowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 17:58:04 EDT
Dear Fellow Listers,

Help!  I've installed an HP Colorado 8gb tape backup device.  Per the
instructions I have it jumpered as slave on the secondary IDE channel.  DVD
is master.

On the primary IDE is the HDD 16.8g IBM.

Setup:
450mhz PII 128mg PC100 Ram
16.8 gig IBM HD
Toshiba DVD
floppy
modem
Win98SE
i740 w/8mb
soundblaster/ensonique
P45BXM/128S motherboard (Micro-Star with latest BIOS)

Upon installation, Win98 detected and installed no problem.  Did a "One
Button Backup".  It took 1 1/2 hrs going through all files (only about 3gig)
and another 1 1/2 hrs confirming.  But when I checked to see if the backup
worked I got nothing.  Contacted HP tech support who told me nothing was put
on tape and that it was a BIOS issue since the device wasn't being detected
in BIOS or at startup as secondary slave.  I just now completed updating BIOS
to the latest revision.

Upon bootup, secondary slave is not detected.  In BIOS I have secondary slave
set to auto.  Secondary master is detected as is primary master.

Does BIOS need to detect the tape drive for it to work?  Win98 found it.  How
do I get BIOS to detect the tape drive?

I really appreciate the help, I've been struggling with this for two weeks
now.

Kevin Nowicki

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html