From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:46:58 -0500
If you are using (what was when new) a very high end video adapter with 3d
support and big resolutions, this can be caused by running the card in a
poorly supported mode.  For instance, my Diamond Multi-Media Viper 550 uses
an Nvidia chip that was a hot setup at one time.  It screams at 1024 x 768
in 32 bit color.  However, put it into 256 colors mode and it almost stops.
When I saw my brother's frame rate with this card I almost fell over, until
I realized he had changed the colors setting and that the windows driver
from Diamond had really poor support for that mode.  Setting his colors to
32 bit gave him the frame rate I was seeing in my pc.
It can also be caused by polling the cd or cdrw.  Two programs that do this
are Real Jukebox running in the system tray, and packet writing (using the
cdrw like it was a diskette drive) also in the system tray.  Their constant
accesses to the cd drive for cd status can interfere with other windows
functions.
Tom Turak