From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 16:02:45 -0700
At 11:27 AM 2/26/99 , David Gillett wrote:
>On 25 Feb 99, at 14:34, Daniel Ellis wrote:
>
>> I am working on a clients PC Express older 486 running Win95 a.
>> Everytime it gets in windows, windows does not detect a mouse.  It is
>> a serial mouse on com1.
>
>  I've seen this several times -- mostly on 486s, though I've no idea
>why.
>
>  The fix (which I originally got from someone here... Bob?) has been
>to install a DOS serial mouse driver (the mouse probably came with
>one...) in CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT (depending on whether the driver
>is a .SYS or .EXE file).
>  Although Win95 might fail to detect the mouse hardware properly, it
>will see the DOS mouse software and "take over" its function, properly
>supporting the mouse that it previously could not detect.

Just to add to David's comment:

The basic Microsoft Mouse driver for DOS v9.01 is available to
download on our web site at:  http://nospin.com/pc/files.html

It is in the Hardware File Utility section.   We also have the
Intellimouse for the MS Wheel mouse...  along with 1,000s of
other great files...  if you have not been to our file download
area, this is a must visit part of our web site...   *wink*

    Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group
  http://nospin.com

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]