From:
Brad Boutwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 09:11:59 -0500
2-part question:

1. I just installed a 20 GB HD (4 partitions - 1@2 GB, 3@6 GB).  I have a
6GB (2 partitions - 1@2GB, 1@4GB) as a slave on the same IDE channel (as
slave). This is the problem, the OS (BIOS???) assigns drive letters as
follows: MASTER: C, E, F, G  & SLAVE: D, H   How do I make the assignments
sequential?  The new drive is much faster and I plan to use the 6GB for
archival purposes only.  I want the 2 partitions (which I plan to combine)
on the 6 GB to be last.

2. I have always been told that to have one or two large partitions is a bad
idea, with the potential for more problems with many smaller partitions.
Have I been mislead in this?  IE< How would you guys partition a 20 GB and a
6 GB setup?

PS:  I decided on a 20 GB 7200 RPM Maxtor drive with a 1 MB buffer.  The
other choice was a Western Digital Expert 18 GB 7200 RPM with a 2 MB buffer
(also with ATA 66 capabilities).  I don't have an ATA 66 controller, so I
went with the best price, the Maxtor (saved $50).  I know the function of
the buffer is to prevent reading from the disk itself so often, but would
like to know if it I made the right choice in picking the Maxtor.  Will that
extra 1 MB of buffer increase disk performance significantly? Does anyone
own either of these drives?

Brad Boutwell
Tulsa, OK

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html