Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 18:42:53 -0500
Hi,

 > Specs:
 > #1 Computer
 > Dell
 > Intel 800
 > 256 Ram
 > Win98SE
 >
 > #2 Computer
 > American Micro
 > AMD 166
 > 96 Ram
 > Win98

Thanks to Mary Wolden's advice below I now have the network card installed
on the correct irq on the Dell Computer

I can now access computer #2 from the Dell and things work fine.  I can
copy and paste files from one computer to the other through the Dell.

However, I am having a problem with computer #2 working correctly.  I can
see the Dell on computer #2 but I can't access the Dell from computer
#2.  When I click the icon for the Dell it tells me the system is not
available.  I have file and print sharing turned on and have shared all my
drives on the Dell as well as computer #2.   The network card installed
correctly on irq 10 on computer #2 the first time.

Could there be a problem because one system runs win98 and the other win98E?
Could there be a problem because one system has an Intel cpu and the other
an Amd cpu?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sue Na

Mary wrote:
> From your current setting on Computer 1, you should be able to switch the
>Sound Blaster Live and the Linksys card to accomplish what you want.  The
>Sound Blaster live is on IRQ 10 by itself (only sharing with the IRQ Holder
>for PCI steering), so by switching the slots the cards are in you should be
>able to get the Linksys card on IRQ 10 and the Sound Blaster Live will share
>an IRQ with the Ultra66 IDE Controller.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Mary Wolden

 > DEVICE MANAGER/COMPUTER PROPERTIES/VIEW RESOURCES
 >
 > IRQ
 > 00      System timer
 > 01      Standard 101/102 Key or MIcrosoft Natural Keyboard
 > 02      Programmable interrupt controller
 > 03      Linksys LNEPCI II PCI Ethernet Adapter
 > 03      Promise Technology Inc. Ultra66 IDE Controller
 > 03      IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
 > 04      Communications Port (Com 1)
 > 06      Standard Floppy Disk Controller
 > 07      ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
 > 08      System CMOS/real time clock
 > 09      US Robotics 56K Voice PCI
 > 09      Intell82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
 > 09      IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
 > 10      Creative SB Live! Value
 > 10      IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
 > 11      NVIDIA GeForce 256 AGP (Dell)
 > 11      IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
 > 12      PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
 > 13      Numeric data processor
 > 15      Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
 > 15      Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

Sue Na

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html