From:
Stan Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:14:54 -0500
I have recently built an email/internet home computer for a neighbor off of Newegg. They had a special running on MicroATX parts so I decided to assemble a system with this type form factor. It had worked for approximately 2-3 weeks before I started seeing the undesired behavior.

The system powers off and will not power back on. If I unplug the AC power cord and plug it back in it will make a short beep and power the system fans on for a second then powers back off. I have to repeat this process in order for this to happen again. If I just hit the power switch without unplugging the AC power cord nothing will happen.

I got an RMA through Newegg and had the power supply replaced thinking that the power supply was bad. To no avail, the new power supply does the same thing.

I did find out by unhooking the power on the SATA150 (Seagate 80GB) hard disk that it will power on with no problems. I ordered this case and power supply as a combo, it is rated at 350W peak, 270W maximum output.

To me this sounds like a “not enough” power problem but something that is really confusing me is that on higher rated power supplies this says the same thing. For example, on a 450W power supply it has a maximum output wattage of approximately 260 with a surge max output of 478W.

Is this a power problem? Or a problem with MicroATX form factor power supplies that they can’t drive the kind of power that SATA hard disks require?

At this point I am open to suggestions or recommendations. Thanks in advance for any advice or help I receive, Stan Goodman.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>