From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:23:19 -0700
At 10:21 PM 2/10/99 , Kevin Weaver wrote:
>I have seen a lot of discussion about types of memory, but I haven't
>seen anything about brands.  All else being the same, does anyone have
>any opinions on any of these brands - Kingston, Crucial, or PNY?  I want
>to add 32MB SDRAM to my Dell Dimension and these three brands are about
>the same price.

Typically, the brand makes little difference for most workstation or home
user systems.   If the Ram works well at installation, it rarely goes bad
later on, hence most Ram is offered with a life-time warranty.

In my personal opinion, the finest Ram is Micron Memory, (Crucial is the
consumer marketing brand for Micron).  Crucial or Micron memory
makes a difference only in high demand systems, such as servers.  In
servers we were building a couple years back with the Tyan Tomcat II
and III dual systems, they would only run with Micron, (Crucial), memory
with dual processors.  In the Tomcat IV boards and using ECC memory,
we had a great deal of problems with any memory except from Crucial.

Today, when we use the Tyan Tiger 100 dual board, (the last many of
these servers we have sold use this board), we always use Crucial
ECC memory and we never have any issues.  Are these boards much
better or is it the Ram...  *shrug*   I know we have never had any
problems when using Crucial memory.  We only use other brands to
save money....  often Crucial is more expensive.

   Bob
The NOSPIN Group