From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2011 12:51:17 -0400
Hi Bob,

It doesn't look like there is a problem with the jack on the laptop, because
that is sometimes a cause of this problem as well.
Try the following: Disable the wireless adapter and then make sure that you
use
the "wired" adapter (NIC) in the laptop.
Set it up using DHCP ,it should automatically acquire an IP address from the
router.

Network connections folder - r-c on the LAN connection > Properties >
(BTW, the LAN connection should already show the adapter used in the Device
column)

Under the General tab ,make sure the correct adapter is selected.
In the list below ,make sure Internet Protocol is ticked and then select it.
Then select Properties and in the resulting panel ,tick "Obtain an IP
address automatically"
which means that you're using the DHCP server.
This is all standard IP config

In Services ,make sure that DHCP Client is started and set to auto.
In Device Manager ,make sure that the adapter is present and enabled.

Showing LAN4 only means that there have been 3 previous LAN setups.
Windows has the peculiar notion that a new LAN number should be assigned
each time you change the settings.
Just rename it (take the 4 off )

You could also try this free Network Manager:
http://www.netsetman.com/index.php?s=nsm

Hope this helped .
Peter E.