From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:06:25 -0700
Peter wrote;
> I need some suggestions on testing RAM
> My computer sometimes locks up where there is no response and even the
>mouse does not respond.

I have had similar situations where my system froze too. I was running
Windows Media Player listening to music on line, chatting with several
people via MSN Messenger and doing a video chat. I was also checking my
mail. One would think that a P4 Extreme with all of its cache and one gig of
memory would keep going down the road. Oh yes, I have no VM. Like you I
re-booted and all was fine. Video memory is 128mb.

>My post is to request suggestions of other paths I can take.

I did a search on Intel for your motherboard and there is a long list of
things to try. I guess the key word is "try" due to the fact that
troubleshooting a system is not always cut and dry.
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-010275.htm

At this point trying any or all may help. I don't know.

Your board has been archived for a while now however the information the
information on it is still relevant.
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D845PEBT2/index.htm

Many things can be tried to see if the issue is resolved. It could be the
video like Mark eluded too. When the maximum memory of the board is reached,
the BIOS "Video Aperture" takes the overload.  It could be the CPU A number
of commands that it can't decided what to do with. Possibly dirty cooling
fans. When the pressure is put on, the heat goes up and if the fans are
clogged, there is no place for the heat to go. It could be an intermittent
problem with the power supply or it could be something totally unrelated.
How is the BIOS setup? I find that when approaching unknown issues, I will
note the BIOA settings and default everything one step at a time. Like the
old days, we would remove everything and start from scratch. At this point,
it is worth trying a methodical approach to the issue. I usually keep a log
so I know where I've been and what I've done.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 0525-3, 06/23/2005
Tested on: 6/23/2005 6:06:07 PM

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 0525-3, 06/23/2005
Tested on: 6/23/2005 6:06:21 PM

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml