From:
Roxanne Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 22:13:22 -0800
I can answer a very small part of your question.  This is close to the blue
screen of death.  Maybe we could call it the Lite Blue Screen of Death.  (The
"real" blue screen of death nearly always has the words "Fatal Exception" in
its message somewhere.)

The genesis of the problem may be hardware or it may be software and is most
likely a combination of the two.  (Really helpful, huh?)

The first best suggestion I can give is to reboot frequently as a preventive
maintenance measure. IE4 (and Netscape Communicator 4) are large, resource
intensive programs. The longer they run, the harder they are on your system.
 If your hardware is not absolutely top-notch, then timing problems can occur
as the resources are consumed by these (and other) products.

I would not use either of those browsers for more than a few hours without
rebooting. In fact, I don't. <grin>

The other thing: As soon as the error occurs, don't try to keep operating. Shut
everything down as gracefully as possible and reboot. (On those occasions that
your system doesn't freeze, of course!)

Oh, and how much memory do you have?  I didn't see it in your list.

Roxanne Pierce
R2 Systems, San Diego
mailto:[log in to unmask]

On Monday, March 09, 1998 19:26, sue [SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:
> I hope someone can help me here.  I've read others mention the 'blue screen
> of death' and am wondering if this is the same blue screen I get from time
> to time.  It usually occurs when Internet Explorer 4.01 is searching for a
> site and gets timed out.  But, it happens at other times for no reason that
> I know of.
>
> In this error message there is a note of VxD. My motherboard is a Rhino VX.
>  Just wondering if there is a connection.  0E is 'Zero E'...not 'oh E'.
>
> System:
> Win95
> AMD k5 166 Processor
> Rhino Vx Motherboard
> S3 Virge 4mg Video Card
> Panasonic 24x CD-Rom
> 5.1 gig hard drive
> 412 mg hard drive
> Syquest 1.5 zip drive
> Mustek Scanner
> Awe64 Sound card
> SVGA monitor
>
> Well, here's that error message:

>                 WINDOWS
>
> An exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C1069CBC in VxD
> VNBT(01) + 00010130.
> This was called from 0028:C10225D8 in VxD PPPMAC(01) +
> 00004570.  It may be possible to continue normally.
<snip>