From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:40:00 -0700
At 12:04 PM 11/27/2003, Peter Shkabara wrote:

>I am planning to get a DVD burner. The burner will handle either +R or -R
>formats. My question to the list is which is better? This pertains primarily
>to the media, since the burner will handle either. Any experiences to share?
>
>Also, anyone have experience with Pacific Digital DVD Burner? Staples has it
>now for $90!A Sony unit is $150.

Peter,

The answer to your question: "which is better?" is simple to answer.  The
two formats make little difference.  The question you need to address is
what format is the player or players you intend to use.

My first DVD player connected to my home entertainment system was a basic
unit that only played -R/+R DVDs.   I learned it was far from optimal and moved
this unit to my bedroom.  In the mean time I had purchased a
JVC XV-S500 DVD player for my home entertainment center in
the family room.  This player handles the following formats:
Plays DVD Video, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD, MP3 formats and
Digital Stills (JPG on CD-R/RW).

I purchased a NEC ND-1000A DVD writer and a NEC ND-1300A DVD writer.
The first drive only writes +R/+RW DVDs and CD roms.  The second drive,
(the ND-1300A), writes CDs, VCD, SVCD, -R/-RW DVDs and +R/+RW
DVDs.  I can tell you that I nearly always have used the ND-1300A writer
for one very good reason...   the television in my son's bedroom has a
a DVD player that only plays -R/-RW DVDs.

So, in my case it only makes sense to create -R DVDs for our video library.

The one big tip I can pass along is to buy a small box of RW DVDs.  I bought
five of them after creating well over a dozen coasters learning how to create
DVDs from many different sources.  Now, if I am the least unsure about what
I have created, I first write it to a -RW disc and if it works, then I cut it to a
-R DVD.  If it fails, I only have to erase the -RW disc and start over.  I have
only opened one -RW so far and I have erased it more than a couple dozen
times.  Since blank DVDs cost nearly a dollar each, using the -RW discs has
saved me quite a chunk of change.

I can tell you that creating DVDs, copying DVDs and VHS tapes is a very
steep learning curve...  I have spent a great deal of time collecting codecs
to deal with just about everything out there.  Then you run into the question
of software to use...  I can tell you that the traditional programs like Roxio
EZ CD/DVD, Nero or CDRWIN are not the best tools.  Once you start into
the realm of DVDs you are going to find dozens upon dozens of specialty
software programs that do one function or another, and do them far better
than the big three I already mentioned.  So, be sure to visit this website
for more on the subject:  http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

     Bob Wright
The NoSpin Group
http://freepctech.com