From:
Elizabeth Boston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 22:06:36 -0500
 John Chin wrote:

> Do the lights on the keyboard light up during POST?
> [Could be a lingering power issue.]

        As soon as I turn the computer on, all three lights on the
keyboard light up for less than half a second. This is
before any sounds can be heard from the power supply fan or
computer itself.

> Can you get into CMOS using the keyboard before the
> error message?!?  <g>  [Could be an unusual CMOS
> setting implemented after the keyboard passes the
> POST.]

        No... by the time I can see the image on the monitor, it
has already failed to find the keyboard. Usually it takes a
few seconds for the ram to be counted, but this computer
seems to instantly count the memory. By the time I can read
the monitor, it already has the Bios info,
the amount of memory,
a line that says please wait...
Keyboard - not detected
Mouse - detected

> Have you tried a different CPU and RAM? [Could be
> a register AH problem with the CPU or a memory error.]

        I replaced the two 8mb SIMMs with two 16s. The only
difference was that the lights on the keyboard stayed on for
a full second instead of the previous half second. The
computer automatically reported 32MB of ram even though it
didn't appear to "count" it.  I don't have any extra CPUs.

        I guess I'll work on taking the motherboard out of the case
next... What do I put it on? Don't I have to make sure it is
grounded?

        Elizabeth Boston

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]