From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 09:09:41 -0400
There are several things you can do to all but eliminate Activation problems.
The easiest is to be sure you have network card,
Even if you never plug anything into it!  That gives you almost half the
WinXP activation "points" that MS is looking for each time you boot...
Network cards have some built-in numbers, and make a machine ID VERY
specific after installed, (but only helps BEFORE activation...)

Second - Don't activate until after 25 days or so... (29 or 30 if you feel lucky.)
Reason being, you want to finalize the hardware in the computer before Activation
takes a "snapshot" of the configuration...
You will have to suppress the warnings and reminders. At first they are every
ten minutes or so, but eventually trail off to something less irritating...

You can activate over the phone. It used to be a person, but "eventually" it was
replaced with an all automated (punching buttons) and listening to long numbers
spoken by their activation answering machine. You can have the numbers
repeated "almost" as many times as necessary while you write them down,
(or enter them into your machine...)

As far as updating...  They gear that towards being on-line and automatic,
(or at least on demand).  I would suggest you find out about hardware and
software firewalls and get a good Router with NAT (if you are on broadband)...
If you can make your computer invisible on the Internet, they can't find you and
can't do anything to you...  Check out the site: http://www.grc.com
Look for the Shields Up section and run all the tests. (Takes minutes.)

I'm sure the list will help with any security questions you might have, but am
not sure that is PC-Soft or PC-Build...

                                              Rick Glazier