From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:02:14 -0700
  I don't think resolv.conf contains the actual server addresses -- but it
does contain the instruction telling the system to use DNS to resolve
names....
  If nslookup isn't listing any servers, then either resolv.conf isn't
telling it to use DNS, or where you think you've told it what servers to use
is not the right place.

  I'll have to dig out my Linux admin references -- I don't recall exactly
where it's supposed to be set.

David Gillett

On 21 Jun 2005 at 5:04, Hugh Vandervoort wrote:

> nslookup returns no nameservers when set to static IP, and I can't edit
> resolv.conf. There are no nameservers listed.
>

> David Gillett wrote:
>
> >  Whether a given machine gets its DNS server addresses from DHCP or from a
> >static config shouldn't matter.  (However, a machine with a static address
> >won't ask DHCP for info....)
> >  Unlike XP (Microsoft seriously blew this!), on Linux you can use nslookup
> >to test the DNS *and resolver* config.  If nslookup doesn't show the machine
> >consulting the DNS servers you've configured it for, you may have other
> >problems in resolv.conf .
> >
> >  Note also that there's rarely any reason to require that your machine use
> >your ISP's DNS servers.  It can be helpful, in fact, for at least one entry
> >to point to a name server managed separately -- perhaps one belonging to
> >your domain registrar, or to a local college or university.
> >
> >David Gillett
> >

> >On 20 Jun 2005 at 10:51, Hugh Vandervoort wrote:
> >

> >>I have a small network at home-Linksys router, 2  XP machines and a
> >>Fedora 3 box.
> >>I installed Apache on the Linux machine and am serving a personal web
> >>page. In the past I have  assigned a static IP to the Linux computer to
> >>avoid the inevitable IP change when I reboot, or Comcast changes my IP.
> >>Last  week, I noticed the site was down, and, upon checking, I noticed
> >>that the Comcast nameservers had changed. I made the appropriate changes
> >>and lost DNS on the web server. I.e, I can surf by IP number, but not by
> >>name.
> >>I have checked and changed this setup several times to no avail. No
> >>matter what I do, I can't surf by site name on the Linux machine. No
> >>problem when I switch back to DHCP. The web site is being served as usual.
> >>Just when I thought I was starting to understand this stuff...
> >>What am I overlooking?
> >>TIA.
> >>

>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,