From:
"Changhsu P. Liu" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:51:05 -0500
I bought a Philips 109S20 19" monitor from OfficeDepot.com. It works
perfectly for the 1st few weeks but I noticed a few strange problems
recently (still within a month old).

I have a separate power switch for my monitor and speakers. I turn on my
computer first and then turn on the switch for my monitor after the system
is ready.

1) Problem 1:
If I turn it on after the PC finishes bootup, I would not be able to turn
on the monitor quickly. I have to press on keyboard, move around with the
mouse for many times, and eventually it would be on after 2-3 minutes.
Before it eventually turns on, I can see it struggles to turn itself on a
few times (being a little lighter than pure black and blinks off after less
than a second or so). I think it worked fine with the same procedure when I
first got it.

If I turn it on right when I turn on the computer, everything would be
fine. I would see the BIOS, system selections, Win2000 startup screen,
everything works fine.

For a test, I reconnected to my old monitor and did the same procedure and
my old monitor turned itself on right away after I turned the switch on.
Then, I swtich it to my philips while the computer is on (I know it's
dangerous.), and it turned itself on right away too.

2) Problem 2:
It has problem with 1152X864 when I switched between resolutions. It would
become complete black. I have to either cancel it or sometimes heat return
a couple of times to get it working. Other resolutions (e.g. 800X600,
1280X1024) switch right away.

3) Problem 3:
Another time, the screen goes complete black for a few seconds when I hit
backspace.

4) Problem 4:
I moved it to another PC. Did the same thing (turned it on after system
booted first), and it gave the following message:

94K/143Hz
Frequency is out of range
when actually it's 800X600 at 85 Hertz

It appears that the monitor has problem telling the current resolution,
refresh rate if it turned on after the system is booted up.

I might do more testing, switching this weekend. Before all the hassles, I
wonder if you have any idea what's wrong with the monitor. Should I have it
replaced since it's less than 1 month old?

Thanks,

Changhsu Liu

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com