From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 07:58:57 -0700
Don,

We recently discovered a problem similar to this when installing a
multimedia training program on some systems here at work.  One solution was
to go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (no "www" in the address) and
download the critical updates, Direct X 7.0a, and the Windows Media Player
(the new one is 7.0 for Windows 98).  But, after several exchanges with the
vendor, we found something else out.

Open up your win.ini file (click Start|Run and type "sysedit"), and looking
for the following lines under [mci extensions]:

mpeg=MpegVideo
mpg=MpegVideo
abs=MpegVideo

It's possible that the "mpg=MpegVideo" line is missing.  If it is, type it
in, and this should fix your problem.  I have not actually tested this fix
yet, but it can't hurt to check.  Hope this helps.

Kyle Elmblade