From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 11:41:26 -0400
Diana:
As noted earlier, I'm a mechanical engineer, not an electronics guy, so
when I get into stuff like this, I rely very heavily on Bigelow's book,
"Troubleshooting, Maintaining and Repairing PC's". His recommendation is
that after you have removed the battery, use a 10 K resistor to short
the terminals. Then reinstall the battery, and all should be well. Of
course, all of the usual precautions about unplugging the system and
anti-static measures apply.
Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

Diana Benoit wrote:

> Thank you, Caroll.  I did check the manual.  There are 2 solder points on the board,
> but I still don't know what the procedure is to short something.  Do I use a
> screwdriver, wire or what?  Apparently I have to touch these two points with
> something, I just don't know what.
>
> Caroll Grigsby wrote:
>
> > Diana:
> > Check the motherboard manual. On newer motherboards, the CMOS can be
> > reset by shorting out two terminals on the motherboard. On older ones,
> > it is necessary to remove the battery. I share your concern about
> > bending (apparently) flimsy plastic thingies way out of shape (and I'm a
> > retired mechanical engineer who has designed them). So long as you don't
> > go in there with a 2 foot crowbar, and use a little finesse, you're
> > probably going to be OK. OTOH, if it really makes you uncomfortable,
> > perhaps this is one time when it might be worthwhile taking the box to
> > your local PC repair guy and paying the minimum bench charge. Your best
> > bet might be a local mom-and-pop operation on a slow day; with any luck,
> > you might be able to see how it's done.
> > Regards,
> > Carroll Grigsby

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,