From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 10:37:47 -0400
----------
Wayne Ramlogan wrote:

Hello
            the PS/2 uses a Micro channel bus so it is difficult to add
a sound cand or modem is it possible to replace the motherboad and
reuse the case?

Hi Wayne,
Your system as it stands seems to have little to gain from an upgrade.
You don't have a modem, a sound card, or a video card.  So you seem
most concerned with salvaging the disks and case.  This will not put
you out a terrible amount to replace.  I would strongly suggest donating
the 486 to Goodwill or some like cause that accepts working, Win95
compatible pc's (my local office will not accept 286's anymore) or find
a student who needs a cheap dorm room email system.  The beauty of
these is there is so little attraction to steal them, which can be a real downer
to come back from class and find out your Pentium II 450 has gone
on an unannounced sabbatical.  With an external modem or a readily available
microchannel NIC, it can plug right into the web.  if you remove the
drives from the 486 you are essentially left with a doorstop.  I try to
maximize value out of my really old pc's by finding a use for them intact,
if possible.  I have 3 left, and I am considering making one a dedicated
voice mail server, since I found an old internal 28.8 no-name modem with a
Rockwell chipset that supports the necessary voice functions.
Tom Turak

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**