From:
johngalt2 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 04:35:01 -0600
Equipment:
AMD K6 233 CPU
Tyan Titan Turbo ATX-2 1573 motherboard
64 MB FP Nonparity Tin 60 NS
ELSA Gloria Synergy 8MG PCI
Diamond Monster 3D II 12MB PCI
Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller
Promise Ultra 33 IDE controller
Seagate 9.1 GB UDMA Medalist Pro
Seagate 4.5 GB UDMA Medalist Pro

Attempted to install NT 4.0 workstation. Attempted to switch the drives
from IDE bus on the motherboard to the Promise controller. Upon
installing the UDMA promise driver, rebooted but wound up with the
message "cannot find operating system".
Had created 2048MB partition for NT.

Replaced drives to motherboard.
Final blow was after downloading the upgrade for Microsoft virtual
machine, which Microsoft recommends. Unfortunately, installed this
upgrade WITHOUT first installing
Service Pack 3 for NT. Result? - mouse went nuts, could do nothing but
shut down.
Upon rebooting, was greeted with the NT "blue screen of death",
indicating
NTLDR fatal error #1: cannot read boot.ini

I continue to get this message despite trying to repair installation or
reinstall NT.

Two resultant questions:
(1) It appears that I should have fully partitioned the drives with
something like
Partition Magic first before attempting to hook up UDMA promise card -
but I am not sure that would have helped. Any ideas what went wrong, or
what I should have done?
(2) Any ideas how I can repair the drives so I can reinstall NT? I tried
switching
drive status from master to slave for each, somehow, got nowhere.

Any and all responses, either directly to PCBUILD or personal email,
would be greatly
appreciated.

Philip Arndt

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: