From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 08:51:50 -0400
If I was looking to build a very small and portable computer that retained
all the advantages of a full size PC, I think I would start with an aluminum
box from Lian-Li, such as the PC-30 or the PC-35.  Here's a rather detailed
review of the PC-30, http://www.gideontech.com/reviews/mini30/index.shtml ,
and here's a review of the PC-35, http://www.gideontech.com/reviews/LL_pc35/
.  I see that Directron carries both of these items,
http://www.directron.com/directron/pc30.html and
http://www.directron.com/directron/pc35.html .  These are expensive cases,
but I think you as you try to get the performance you'd expect out of a PC
in a smaller enclosure, the quality of the case will become much more
important, since there's less room to play with.  If the features of the
PC-35, such as the removable hard drive trays, would be useful to you, it
may prove it's worth in the long run.  These cases accomodate most regular
ATX motherboards, meaning that you have all the expansion slots available
that you might normally use for video cards, sound cards, etc.

There are LAN party accessories that are designed to ease the transport of a
PC, such as this product from GearGrip,
http://www4.tomshardware.com/mobile/01q2/010621/geargrip-05.html .  Just
make sure the minimum required dimension for the carrying strap is smaller
than the dimension of the mini-PC box you are using.

John