From:
Earl Blake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 17:26:22 +0200
Hi Trevor

I assume that the program you're trying to run will not run in
Win 9x or DOS mode is suggested. You can specify general
autoexec.bat and config.sys files but as you can guess they will
affect the whole boot sequence which (speaking from experience)
will not run well if there is a path to a DOS specific driver or
something similar in one of these files. Possibly a better way of
doing things is to write an autoexec.bat and config.sys file
specific to the DOS application you're trying to run. To do this,
find the the file that starts the program (eg: game.exe or
whatever) using Windows Explorer. Right click on the file to
bring up the menu and select [Properties]. Select the [Program]
tab and click on [Advanced Settings]. Select [MS-DOS Mode] and
[Specify a new MS-DOS configuration]. You will then be able to
write a specific autoexec.bat and config.sys file for that
program.

To get the highest amount of base memory, try to limit what
drivers are loaded only to what's necessary. Also, make sure that
you load everything into high memory (eg: lh c:\logitech\mouse,
lh mscdex.exe, etc.). If you are using Emm386 then make sure it
is set to RAM (eg: Device=C:\Windows\Emm386.exe ram).

Hope this helps

Earl

Trevor Gibbs wrote:
> This is following from an earlier post re my brothers CD ROM and trying to
> get a higher base memory for DOS games in Win 95/98 and thanks for your
> help in reply the past. However there are some things I don't quite
> follow...
>
> The autoexec.bat appears to be non existent with Win95b or C... Can I
> just write my own version of this file? Can this then get top a DOS menu
> first before going to WIN95 , that is "break the boot sequence"?
>
> It was pointed out to me that I could write in Config.sys or Autoexec.bat (
> couldn't quite work out which was intended. Where the path is
> C:\windows\command to the operating system, can I write in
>
> DOS = HIGH, UMB?
>
>  into the config.sys or could somebody suggest a sample autoexec.bat and
> config.sys file which may be appropriate for a proprietary 2x CD with the
> device high statements...

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com