From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 19:00:33 -0400
Lisa Salkovitz Kohn <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Is anyone here an expert on the Iomega ZipDrive "Click of Death"
>problem?  I got the dreaded clicks after while trying to backup
>an 8 meg file to a Zip cartridge.  I ran a diagnostic (tip.exe)
>and it announced that either the cartridge or the drive was kaput.
>I ran the diagnostic with another cartridge, and it came out
>reasonably well ... except that the first and biggest hiccup
came at about the same point (22 minutes into the test)
>that the first disk blew up.

I think the most reasonable thing to do and the safest for
your existing data would be to get a new Zip DISK and use
that for a while. Test it, use it, etc.  Do not put your data
at risk until you can be sure the drive is not damaging
the disks, and is writing the information in the proper
places.  There are some "control" bands on Zip Disks.
When they get damaged NOTHING less than a FACTORY low level
format will repair it. If the drive works with a new disk,
I would try to talk someone else with a zip drive into seeing
if your "known good (new)" disk will work in theirs.
The problem is a little hard to troubleshoot. If you have
physically damaged disks, there is a "rare" chance you can
knock the heads off of any drive you put it in.  On the other
hand, if the disk is good, and the drive is not writing in
the right spot, the good disk will make the friends drive
start clicking...  This has not damaged the "other drive"
(usually), it is just a good drive trying to read a good
disk and having trouble getting into the "improper" alignment
to do so...   The "TIP" program and the WEB site have
some wonderful links to trouble pages. Pictures and all.
One last thing.  WHEN you look in at the heads, it appears
that the lower head has a chip out of it on the left side.
This is normal. I have three of these, and they are all
the same.   Good luck...   Rick Glazier
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]