From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:37:39 -0400
Hi,

56K modems will not really work at 56K.  That is the speed of downloads
to you, while up loads to them are, usally around 33-36k.   Most of the
time you'll see 43-44K as the most regular phone lines can handle
anyway.

There are other factors, line noise for one, Band width, your ISP
provider and their equipment all come into play.

You see some adds for surfing the web up to 5x faster, for a premium
$$$.  It's the ISP's equipment and software, not a fuction of your
modem, that does that.

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore
=================================

I'm confused about modem speed.

I have a dial-up connection that ranges from about 34 to 46 Kbps. That
speed seems to have no bearing on the actual speed that I can surf the
Web, or the speed that I can upload or download e-mail.

On some days when the connection is supposedly slow, I can work very
quickly. On some days when the connection is supposedly fast, the
computer seems sluggish.

Is there another factor that governs the speed of Internet activity? If
so, what is the meaning of the modem speed?

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml