From:
"Larry A. Kaduce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 08:58:30 -0500
If you boot from the XP CD-ROM, you are given the choice of Setup (S) or
Recovery Console (R) at bootup. Select (R), enter your administrative
password and run chkdsk from there. Common switches are chkdsk c: /p /r
where c: is the drive you want to check and /p checks for bad sectors /r
repairs the sectors. I have had to use this on an unbootable machine, then
entering either fixboot c: or fixmbr c: to fix the boot record. Hope this
helps.

Larry A. Kaduce

This is sort of a pain under NT (includes XP). Since chkdsk can't access
some of the files that are part of the system, it must do so during the
bootup process. One way to get around this is to install the Recovery
Console - this is a stripped down version of NT that does not have a GUI but
rather looks like DOS. From this console mode, you can launch and view the
process of chkdsk. My own preference would be to have a bootable CDROM with
the Recovery Console on it. However, I have not yet been able to produce
such a disk with the drivers needed for my own RAID system. If someone has
found a way to do this, I would like to hear about it.

Hope this helps.

Peter
The NoSpin Group