From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:14:22 -0800
There's only a few options here.  A bad cable, a bad drive, a bad IDE port,
something in the BIOS being missed, or simple incompatibility.  You have
eliminated the first two, which leaves us trying to test the last three.
Can you put another device on the same IDE port and position (i.e. primary
or secondary) as you are trying to put the DVD on?  If the answer is yes,
that leaves us with the BIOS or compatibility issues.

Run the Compaq setup program by pressing F10 when the boot splash screen
comes up.  As I've never worked with this particular model, it's hard to say
exactly what you'll find or be looking for.  You want to make sure that it
is set up to understand that there is a device on this IDE port and
position.  If everything in the BIOS looks good, it's possible that there is
a compatibility issue.  Unless somebody else on the list here knows for
sure, the only way to find out would be to contact tech support at
HP/Compaq.

Good luck!

Kyle Elmblade
Distinct Computer Solutions
Sales - Upgrades - Training - Consulting
Computers are a more fun way to do the same work you'd have to do without
them.