From:
Gordon Totty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 10:54:42 -0500
I hope this isn't a duplicate. Tried to send this last night.

Background: Running a home network with following components: desktop with Win XP Pro, Ethernet connection to router; second desktop with Win XP Home, Ethernet connection to router; laptop with Win XP Home, wireless connection to WAP; WAP Ethernet connection to router.  Internet sharing via cable modem hooked to router.

Objective: Connect another desktop with Win 2000 Pro via second wireless connection to WAP.

Grief: New member of group immediately connected to Internet, but via a neighbor's unprotected setup!  Very weak signal.  Managed to get this machine to connect to my WAP, and by fiddling with channels finally got a strong signal.  However, cannot connect to Internet.  Curiously, it worked one time and one time only via my WAP.  All other attem
pts to hook up have failed.

Questions: Do I need to reinstall my entire network to add this computer?  Seems unnecessary, as it was not in my neighbor's network.  Is there a short cut to just add one new member to a network?  I use MAC address filtering, and gave the WAP the new MAC address.  Should I turn this off?

Any help appreciated as I'm at my wit's end (short journey).  I'm no expert in this stuff!

Gordon Totty

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>